It’s September and to me that’s basically fall. AKA apple pickin’ time. Last year we visited a local apple (and various other grown fruits and vegetables) farm and picked enough to make a serious amount of slow-cooker apple sauce and some cute little mini apple pies. However, I think that this year I would like to branch out a little more with my apple recipes and try some new things. This little dip recipe isn’t new, but it sure is delicious and takes less than 5 minutes to whip up for a quick mid-day treat.
Having fruit for a snack is a for-sure way to stay on the healthy path. Especially if you’re eating apples as they contain no fat, sodium or cholesterol and are a good source of fiber. Pair them with some peanut butter for protein and greek yogurt for your nutrients and you have an extremely good-for-you dip.
Easy Apple Yogurt Dip
- plain greek yogurt
- small apple of your choice, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of cinnamon
- Add each ingredient in an amount to your liking. Stir well and enjoy with fresh apple slices.
When you finish putting together a week’s worth of lunch in the form of a salad and it doesn’t take much effort at all yet it tastes like it should? The feeling of satisfaction AND victory. Not only did I just save myself time each day by prepping this meal ahead in bulk amount, but I get to look forward to having more time to actually enjoy it.
Most Mediterranean salads have olives in them. Feel free to add those to the list of ingredients if you happen to like olives. I don’t, so I opted to leave them out.
Mediterranean Pasta Salad
A quick and easy take on a Mediterranean salad with an added bonus: pasta noodles.
- 12-ounces farfalle pasta, cooked according to directions
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 4-ounces crumbled low fat feta cheese
- half of a medium size red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package over med-high heat in a medium size saucepan. Drain in a strainer under cold water for 30-45 minutes to cool off pasta. Drain again.
- Add cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and feta cheese to a medium size mixing bowl. Add Lemon-Herb Vinaigrette and combine well. Next add pasta and combine again. Serve immediately.
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven