Cabbage Rolls are one of my most favorite meals. Unfortunately, I may be the only one in this house who feels this way, which is OK; we’re not all going to like the same thing. I also think cabbage rolls can be a preferred meal and so when I do cook them, I usually cook them in bulk and have them as leftovers when my husband is out of town.
Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls are great if you don’t love rolling cabbage or want something quick on the skillet. It’s just a few chops and you’re simmering on-top of the oven for the remainder of the time. Plus it’s suuuuper flavorful and being that we’re tip-toeing into the fall season, this recipe would fit great in your weekly menu.
Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
A super easy alternative to one of your favorite fall time recipes.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 small cabbage, chopped
- 2 cans (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper, for seasoning
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Next add ground beef and onion and allow to cook until meat is no longer pink. Throw in garlic clove and let saute for 1 minute.
- Slowly add cabbage, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and water to skillet. Combine by stirring until everything is blended well. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and allow to cook for 20-30 minutes, depending on how cooked-through cabbage is.
Another “veggies most” recipe was just cooked this evening and it’s a flavorful one! I had it marked on the menu for later in the week but after coming home from an afternoon spent at the pool, some sautéed vegetables with a little bit of protein sounded good.
This is a one pan meal, which means you aren’t shuffling between pans and dishes back and forth. Everything goes onto one pan and stays there until it’s divided amongst plates. If you’re short on prep-time, I highly suggest cutting your vegetables either the night before or morning of. Although, if your knife skills are up there – this should be a piece of cake for you!
Roasted Italian Sausage and Veggies
- 2 cups carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups red potatoes, quartered cut
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and quartered cut
- 4½ TB olive oil
- ½ TB dried basil
- ½ TB dried oregano
- ½ TB dried parsley
- ½ TB garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Using parchment paper, cover a large sheet pan and set aside.
- Chop vegetables accordingly and then add with sausage to sheet pan. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl add all seasoning ingredients. Mix until well combined and pour overtop vegetables and sausage. Use a large spoon or spatula to toss vegetables, sausage and seasoning to evenly coat as much as possible.
- Add to oven for 15 minutes. Remove momentarily to toss again and add back. Bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Can be served over cauliflower rice, long grain rice or just enjoyed as itself.