So I meal-plan our weeks worth of food on Saturday so that I am able to make a grocery store run on the same day and meal-prep for a good part of Sunday. That being said, I intentionally scheduled to make these ham and swiss cheese strombolis so that I (or anyone else who would like to as well) could enjoy one or two while watching the NBA Playoffs.
This is my first time making a stromboli. I rarely work with dough because I base most of my pizzas on flatbreads or pita bread. I was surprised at how easy it really was and how well it turned out. If making dough intimidates you too, you can use the Pillsbury refrigerated dough. Next time, I’ll be more brave and make my OWN pizza dough!
After you’ve flattened and stretched your dough well, lay your ham and cheese. I used sliced swiss cheese but you can use shredded cheese if you have it on-hand. We do ham and swiss cheese sandwiches here and there so I already had the swiss cheese slices.
If you’re serving these as a appetizer, they go great with a dipping sauce. Both honey mustard or a pizza sauce would give it an even more additional taste. But if not, they taste great just as is! That’s how I just enjoyed mine. Can’t wait to bake these, and more similar kinds as well again soon.
- homemade pizza dough, or one 11-ounce tube of refrigerated Pillsbury french loaf
- 8-ounces deli ham, thin sliced
- 6 slices of swiss cheese, cut into halves
- green onions, sliced and diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cooking pan.
- Prepare your homemade dough, or using a sheet of wax paper with flour sprinkled overtop; flatten the french loaf dough using your hands and a roller.
- When dough is completely flat, add your slices of ham first. You want to leave about a little over ½ inch between the end of the dough and your ham. This allows you to pinch the corners up after you roll up dough. Next add cheese slices and then sprinkle green onions throughout.
- Roll doll up tightly. When done, make sure to pinch so that dough seals. Place side with end of dough seam down on cooking pan. Using a knife, add slits at top.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on when stromboli appears golden. Allow to cool momentarily before dividing to serve.
- Tastes great with a side of pizza sauce or honey mustard.