Have you ever passed by the marked down aisle of food at the grocery store and wondered what you could do with any of the marked down bread? So much! Yesterday I bought a bag of french loaf pieces that was marked down to 49 cents with the intentions of making croutons out of it. I’ve got a salad planned for my lunch this week, as well as a soup and croutons go well with both.
Anyone can make their own croutons with just 4 basic ingredients and an oven. Add some spices or parmesan cheese to give them a more flavorful taste to match whatever entree you have planned to incorporate them in. I promise you won’t buy store brand croutons again!
Homemade Garlic Croutons
You can make your own croutons with just 4 ingredients and an oven.
- 4 cups of bread, cut into small cube shapes
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add bread cubes to a large bowl. Sprinkle both garlic powder and sea salt overtop, gently stirring. Next drizzle olive oil overtop and carefully fold; making sure to coat all bread.
- Using a cookie sheet, add bread; spreading out evenly so none overlap. Cook for 10-15 minutes depending on how quickly they brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5-10 minutes before adding to your recipe or storing in a gallon size ziplock bag.
I could go on and on about how blueberries seem to make everything tastes so much better, even delicious banana bread. But instead of wasting your time and trying to convince you just why; I’m going to assume you already like blueberries because you clicked on a link somewhere just for this recipe. So just right below the pictures, you’ll find a list of ingredients and instructions. Get to it!
Healthy Banana Blueberry Bread
A delicious bread baked with fresh bananas and blueberries, healthy enough that you won't feel guilty while enjoying a slice.
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix together.
- Next, in a large size bowl add brown sugar, coconut oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla extract. When all ingredients have been whisked well, add mashed bananas. Whisk well again. Next, gently fold in blueberries.
- Add dry ingredients into large bowl with banana mixture. Combine well and pour into loaf pan. Check at 55 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If toothpick comes out clean, bread is ready. If not, bake for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and allow to cool down for 10 minutes before transferring to a baker's rack. Serve warm.