Ground turkey and I are quickly becoming friends. No longer in sight are the days when I longed for ground beef on my tacos and hamburger buns. Instead I openly embrace any recipe that calls for ground turkey and if it doesn’t, I make the switch anyway. Afterall, it is so much more healthy for you.
It’s the 3rd and final week of the 21DayFix and I’m starting it off with this simple recipe for Sloppy Joes for dinner. This doesn’t call for many ingredients, in-fact you probably already have most of them on hand. Those are the best kind of recipes! After meal-prepping all Sunday, I want something quick and easy to make for dinner the following day.
This recipe serves 8 and is 21DayFix approved, obviously. You’ll only use 1 red and .5 purple, without the bun. Pairs great with some homemade sweet potato chips or grilled corn on the cobb. And last but not least, it tastes a little on the ‘sweet side,” so it’s kid-friendly; even for the pickiest of eaters! Enjoy.
- 1lb 93% lean ground turkey
- Medium red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- Medium green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce (low sugar)
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 1tsp onion powder
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns, optional
- Add 1/2tsp olive oil to a large skillet, set on medium heat and add ground turkey. Cook throughly or until turkey is a light brown.
- Add peppers, tomato sauce, ketchup, garlic powder and onion powder. Lower heat to simmer and cover. Stir occasionally, allowing mixture to thicken. Remove from heat and serve on fresh buns or without.
- 21DayFix: Each serving is 1 red and .5 purple without bun.